Saturday, 17 December 2016

Japan 2016 - Tokyo

its the second last day of our japan holiday. i'm at this juncture where i'm excited to go home, we've had a bit too much japanese food and a bit too much walking (carrying amira in her carrier is affecting my legs and waist) and a bit too much unwashed clothes, yet i don't want to return to reality of school runs and early morning screams. the boys are dreading the trip home (except for the plane ride, they like that bit). they're already *suggesting* our next holiday destination.

it was super sunny on our second full day in tokyo. perfect day for sight seeing, even though it was terribly cold. our schedule today would take us not too far from kuramae / asakusa area, the furthest is probably tsukiji fish market.
our stops for our second day in tokyo

we started our travels just after rush hour, at around 10am. we took our time walking from the apartment to the station, enjoying the quiet-ness of the neighbourhood.

it was a straight metro ride to tsukijishijo from kuramae, and then a short walk to the fish market. the boys love the market. we'll not talk about hubby's reaction. i think he could spend 2 days in the market. i would love to have a meal here, but we were not yet hungry. the boys sampled a few things here and there that were offered by some of the sellers. hubby bought seaweeds and dried seafood. he was itching to get some fresh fish though, good thing he came to his senses.

we walked from the tsukijishijo station-concert hall side all the way to the ginza-ish side of the market. we crossed the street to luna hala restaurant, a small restaurant connected to a small hotel that had a halal menu. we planned on walking to ginza and asked the boys to eat up as we wont be stopping for food after that.

our walk from tsukiji to ginza took more than 30 minutes, we were not in a rush and had stopped to take many photos as the day was so clear and sunny.

once we arrived at ginza, we didn't wander far from ginza station as it would be a straight ride to our next stop, ueno, from there. ginza is mainly sky scrappers and shopping outlets. we took some pictures, walked a bit and were happy with that. we were mainly looking for souvenirs and shopping outlets didn't entice us much.

mr moody asyraf made his appearance at this time

we went to ueno park after ginza. its a huge park right in tokyo with museums and restaurants and temples. kinda like hyde park, in a way. i planned to bring the boys to the national museum of nature and science but the museum was way at the other end of the park and we were freezing by the time we reached the quarter mark. our walk was getting slower and slower and the boys were getting a bit tired from walking. we saw a sign pointing towards ueno station about three quarters of the way and decided walk back to the station. it was already around 3pm, surprisingly. we walked quite a bit at tsukiji, ginza and ueno that we didn't realise how much time had passed.

i don't know what they were doing - i've made myself scarce around this time...

we spent a bit of time at ueno station looking for souvenirs and snacks. then we made our way back to asakusa, intending to visit the sensoji shrine, the last tourist spot on the schedule. but by the time we got to asakusa station it was already dark and the boys were too tired. we walked a bit around asakusa, stopping by the kebab shop we saw a couple of days ago to grab dinner.

we were home quite early, that gave us time to relax, have a good dinner and do loads of laundry before i got down to some serious packing for our journey home.

view of sky tree from the apartment


Post a Comment